IEEE Smart City Innovations 2018 (SCI 2018) calls for workshops and special sessions which will complement the research topics of the main conference by focusing on 1) the emerging challenges and issues related to the ever-growing end-to-end UI ecosystem, and 2) the latest disruptive, transformative research ideas, technologies or work in progress.
A special session is an embedded session in the main conference, focusing on a specific research topic relevant to ubiquitous intelligence. Each special issue will be expected to accept 4 - 6 full-length papers. A workshop refers to an academic event co-located with IEEE Smart City Innovation 2018. Workshop papers should follow the same Paper Submission Guidelines for the main conference papers. Accepted papers for both workshops and special sessions will be included in the Smart City Innovation 2018 proceedings published by IEEE (submitted to the IEEE-DL and EI index).
Workshop/Special Session proposals should contain following information:
• The title of the workshop/special session, including both full name and abbreviation (for workshop)
• The objectives, scope, and contributions to the main conference (up to 1 page)
• The short bios of the key organizers and their related experience
• The procedure for selecting papers, plans for dissemination (e.g., how to advertise and special issues of journals), and the expected number of participants
• A tentative list of program committee members
• The (tentative) website/URL of the proposed workshop and special sessions
Workshop/Special Session organizers are responsible for forming program committees, circulating call for papers, organizing submission and review as well as planning the final program. IEEE SCI 2018 Workshop/Special Session Co-chairs will assist in organizing workshops and ensure their quality and success. The registration fees for workshops/special sessions will be determined by the main conference and will be paid to the conference directly. The conference will provide workshop/special session facilities. Workshops/Special Sessions should strictly follow the important dates. The paper submission deadline could be after that of the main conference to allow workshops to pick up some good papers submitted to the main conference. However, sufficient time (5-7 weeks), should be allocated for peer reviews. Each paper should be reviewed by at least three experts in the corresponding areas.
In order to encourage the workshop organizers, the main conference will offer the following benefits to the workshop organizers: (1) If a workshop has 10-20 full registrations, then one full registration will be waived. (2) If a workshop receives more than 20 full registrations, then its organizers can choose to get a travel grant (up to USD1500) to attend the conference, or to invite one keynote speaker for the workshop with a free registration and travel grant (up to USD1500) for the keynote speaker. The registrations must be from a workshop’s own received submissions and accepted papers only, excluding transferred papers from other workshops/conferences.
Please email your stimulating workshop / session proposals in PDF format by March 8, 2018 to the workshop co-chairs: Yong Qin
(email@example.com) Please use “SCI2018 workshop and special session proposal” as the email subject.
Important Dates for IEEE SCI 2018 Workshops and Special Sessions
• Workshop/Special Session Proposal Due: March 8, 2018
• Workshop/Special Session Proposal Notification: Within two weeks after submission
• Workshop/Special Session Paper Submission: To be decided by individual workshops
• Final Camera-ready Workshop/Special Session Paper Due: August 8, 2018